Become a Deputy Sheriff
Prior to an appointment to the position of a deputy sheriff, all candidates are screened by the Lake County Sheriff’s Merit Commission. The Merit Commission is a quasi-judicial agency, which operates independently of the Sheriff and County Board. The commission administers a system of public employment as prescribed by state statutes and county ordinances.
After all phases of preliminary screening, the Merit Commission compiles a list of candidates who are eligible to fill future vacancies within the Sheriff’s Office; the list is valid for two years.
- No previous law enforcement experience is necessary.
- No residency requirements. Show up on time!
- Applicants must be US citizen (at time of POWER Test).
- Must be age 21 (at time of POWER Test). NO MAXIMUM AGE RESTRICTIONS!
- High School Graduate or GED.
- Possess a valid drivers license.
- Must be willing to work all shifts – including holidays and weekends.
- Pass a mandatory physical agility (POWER) test – conducted by the Lake County Merit Commission. POWER cards are not accepted.
- Pass a written entrance examination conducted by the Merit Commission.
- Complete oral interviews, polygraph, psychological, and medical exams, and be subject to a background investigation.
Applications are being accepted until September 27, 2019
Applicants will pay a non-refundable $25 application fee to the Merit Commission